Bill Grosso presented a fascinating webinar about the video gaming industry yesterday: Knowing How People Are Playing Your Game Gives You the Winning Hand.
Bill Grosso presented a fascinating webinar about the video gaming industry yesterday: Knowing How People Are Playing Your Game Gives You the Winning Hand. He described how over the past three years, game studios have switched from viewing analytics as a primarily descriptive tool to deploying modern data collection practices, machine learning toolkits, and statistical methods to gain a deeper understanding of player behavior, predict outcomes, and modify their games and business practices in real-time to improve both the user experience and revenue. He also described how he uses the R language and statistical modeling to:
- Identify, predict and intervene when “noobs” and “veterans” are about to give up on a title
- Model the dynamics of a population of players in a gaming community
- Analyze the games themselves (for example, where players are getting stuck in the game)
- Detect fraud like gold-farming within games
- Identify and nurture the highest-spending consumers of in-app purchases
I’ve included the replay below — don’t miss the Q&A section at the end where Bill revealed some of his favorite R packages and books.
You can also find additional references in Bill’s slide, which you can download at the link below.
Revolution Analytics webinars: Knowing How People are Playing Your Game Gives You the Winning Hand