Predictive Analytics Toolbox
Usually, the choice of the predictive algorithm depends on one (or more) of the following factors:
- Accuracy in the current context (after trial and errors compared to other algorithms)
- Best practices from the literature (for example, Support Vector Machines are known to be efficient for image recognition)
- Data miner preferences and knowledge (a data miner may prefer neural networks because he used them more often or better understand them)
As it is the case for many data miners, I have a predictive algorithm toolbox that allows me to solve 80% of the problems. It is composed of:
- Pearson’s correlation, to better understand linear relationships among data
- Decision tree, a powerful method providing readable models
- Support Vector Machine (SVM), a kernel method quite robust to overfitting
What are your preferred techniques for predictive analytics? What is your personal toolbox?
You may be interested
IEEE Big Data Conference 2017 to Highlight Challenges, OpportunitiesRyan Kade - June 23, 2017
Since 2013, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers has held annual big data conferences to highlight changes and opportunities…
10 of the Top Marketing BI Software OptionsHayden B. - June 23, 2017
Business can be complicated sometimes. It’s not always easy to keep track of all the data and information we deal…
You must log in to post a comment.