Copulas and Wall Street

March 5, 2009
49 Views

Wired Magazine has an article this week on the credit crisis: Recipe for Disaster: The Formula That Killed Wall Street. I mention it here as the first instance I know of where the phrase “Gaussian Copula” has been used in a mainstream-media article. David X Li’s Gaussian Copula function is detailed in a sidebar to the article along with concepts like “survival times”, “distribution functions”, and “correlation parameter”. Surprisingly, the article makes no mention of extreme value theory, but the concept is certainly captured well in this quote:People used the Gaussian copula model to convince themselves they didn’t have any…

Wired Magazine has an article this week on the credit crisis: Recipe for Disaster: The Formula That Killed Wall Street. I mention it here as the first instance I know of where the phrase "Gaussian Copula" has been used in a mainstream-media article. David X Li's Gaussian Copula function is detailed in a sidebar to the article along with concepts like "survival times", "distribution functions", and "correlation parameter". Surprisingly, the article makes no mention of extreme value theory, but the concept is certainly captured well in this quote:

People used the Gaussian copula model to convince themselves they didn't have any risk at all, when in fact they just didn't have any risk 99 percent of the time. The other 1 percent of the time they blew up.

Other articles have made a similar point about stuffing risk into the tails, but this is the first I've seen that describes its statistical underpinnings.

You may be interested

How SAP Hana is Driving Big Data Startups
Big Data
298 shares3,066 views
Big Data
298 shares3,066 views

How SAP Hana is Driving Big Data Startups

Ryan Kh - July 20, 2017

The first version of SAP Hana was released in 2010, before Hadoop and other big data extraction tools were introduced.…

Data Erasing Software vs Physical Destruction: Sustainable Way of Data Deletion
Data Management
62 views
Data Management
62 views

Data Erasing Software vs Physical Destruction: Sustainable Way of Data Deletion

Manish Bhickta - July 20, 2017

Physical Data destruction techniques are efficient enough to destroy data, but they can never be considered eco-friendly. On the other…

10 Simple Rules for Creating a Good Data Management Plan
Data Management
69 shares672 views
Data Management
69 shares672 views

10 Simple Rules for Creating a Good Data Management Plan

GloriaKopp - July 20, 2017

Part of business planning is arranging how data will be used in the development of a project. This is why…