Over the years of working in the field of analytics and big data I have collected thousands of big data quotes and snippets highlighting both the transformational nature of the phenomenon as well as many of the perils. A client has recently ask me to send him my top 10 big data quotes of all time and this is the list I came up with:
- “Big data is at the foundation of all the megatrends that are happening today, from social to mobile to cloud to gaming.” – Chris Lynch, Vertica Systems
- “Big data is not about the data” – Gary King, Harvard University, making the point that while data is plentiful and easy to collect, the real value is in the analytics.
- “There were 5 exabytes of information created between the dawn of civilization through 2003, but that much information is now created every 2 days.” – Eric Schmidt, of Google, said in 2010.
- “Information is the oil of the 21st century, and analytics is the combustion engine.” – Peter Sondergaard, Gartner Research
- “I keep saying that the sexy job in the next 10 years will be statisticians, and I’m not kidding” – Hal Varian, Google
- “You can have data without information, but you cannot have information without data.” Daniel Keys Moran, computer programmer and science fiction author
- “Hiding within those mounds of data is knowledge that could change the life of a patient, or change the world.” – Atul Butte, Stanford School of Medicine
- “Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all.” Charles Babbage, inventor and mathematician
- “To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem – he may be able to say what the experiment died of.” – Ronald Fisher, biologist, geneticist and statistician
- “Without big data, you are blind and deaf in the middle of a freeway” – Geoffrey Moore, management consultant and theorist
I hope you like these. Of course there are many more and I would love to hear your favourite ones. Why not make this list a little longer by adding your favourite big data quotes in the comments below? —– As always, I hope you enjoyed this post. For more, please check out my other posts in The Big Data Guru column and feel free to connect with us via Social channels.