Tips on Accessing Data from Various Sources with R
- Using the XLConnect package to read data from Excel spreadsheets
- Using the foreign package to read SPSS, SAS, Stata and dBase data files
- Using SQL queries to import data from MySQL with the RMySQL package
- Accessing unstructured data in Hadoop with rhbase
- Scraping data from websites via direct URLs and the XML package (to parse HTML tables)
- Accessing public data sources (economic, financial, social, etc.)
Many thanks to Jeffrey for preparing and sharing this useful information. I've embedded the slides below, and you can find more information, including R code implementing the examples, at Jeffrey's blog linked below.
Other Posts by David Smith
The moderated business community for business intelligence, predictive analytics, and data professionals.
|How do you innovate effectively and maintain a competive edge?|
Learn how in our exlcusive ebook, "Bad Data Need Not Apply: Designing the Modern Data Warehouse Environment."